Full Free Essay :
Rape Culture: Men and Myths
All too often, rape reduction strategies are phrased in terms of women altering their behaviorsnot to walk home alone at night, or not to dress provocatively. This highlights the uniqueness of rape as a crime where largely the behavior of the population of victims (women) is the focus, rather than upon the population (men) which is statistically most responsible for perpetrating the crime. However, by encouraging boys and men to be more self-policing both of their own thoughts, and the words and behaviors of other men, a more meaningful and equitable approach to rape reduction can be achieved.
The focus on reducing the rate of rape normally focuses on how girls and women should alter their behavior. Discuss how boys and men could alter their behavior to reduce rape from occurring. Include a discussion on the contributions of cultural values and myths. Programs, both informal and formal, which seek to educate all genders about rape must stress the lack of ambiguity of the word no (Ferguson, 2014). Instead of exploring the ambiguities in scenarios, it is important to stress that consent is a black and white issue, as well as emphasizing that when someone is under the influence of alcohol, they cannot give consent.
It is also vitally important to stress to boys and men the need to accept rejection, rather than taking it as a challenge or personal insult (Ferguson, 2014). Finally, rather than giving priority to male friendship, it is vitally important boys and men intervene when they witness harassment of women. When verbal harassment is not socially acceptable, only then can the types of situations which permit toxic masculinity to foster rape culture can be addressed. Adults should also be careful about making negative comments about the ways in which girls and women are dressed, or making distinctions between so-called chaste or nice girls and women and provocative girls and women.
Ferguson, C. (2014). 5 things we must teach young boys about rape right now. Time. Retrieved from: https://ift.tt/30IzBQI
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.