BIM DESIGN PROJECT BRIEF
Part 1: Design component [40marks]
For this section submit 1 (1 Revit file (.RVT) regardless of version].
Based on your experience from drawing the domestic house you will be required to design a domestic dwelling in the UK, or that of any country of your choice. However, it must be a ground floor+first floor building. Specifically you should:
• a ground floor plan,
• a first floor plan
• a roof plan, and
• all elevations
• two main sections that pass through the most number of building elements,
• and structure or organise schedules and material quantities
All your drawings should be:
• on at most two sheets
• produced on an appropriate scale
• on a single .RVT file.
• You have to do a bit of research to incorporate at least one building regulation requirements in your drawings
• You have to explicitly state (by text/annotation) important building regulations used on your design, not on any attached documents
• The term 'gross floor area' (GFA) is a very confusing one that has different meanings around the world, and even within some countries. Part L of the UK building regulations suggest that it is equivalent to the total useful floor area (TUFA), which is the '…total area of all enclosed spaces measured to the internal face of the external walls.' However, in many countries gross floor area is taken to be the total enclosed space including the external walls.[I am relaxed about this, and will not penalise anyone who has included or excluded the external wall in the GFA definition]
• Consider a margin of (+/-5%) GFA
Students are provided with different GFA which you are advised to use. The specifications are:
• At least 4 bedrooms (in the whole dwelling)
• At least one reception room
• At least one bathroom
• One kitchen
• One dining room
• Doors (double and internal doors wherever necessary)
NB: 1. Again you have to take note of building regulations in whatever you include
2. If new students on this module are not clear with these specifications, they should contact me.
Part 2 : Application [60marks]
Based on the model developed in Part 1 and using illustrative screenshots with clear explanations, explore the process of:
i. Quantity take-off , cost estimation and assessments of embodied energy and CO2 within Revit and MS Excel environments [NB: Although the quantity take-off is on all the building, a clear illustration of the computation of cost, embodied energy and CO2 on 3 elements of the building should be shown][Use your model developed in Part 1].
ii. Project scheduling process in Navisworks ][Use your model developed in Part 1. Define a minimum of 8 activities].
iii. Discuss 2 major differences between quantity take-off in Revit and Navisworks [Your experience on using both software together with your research are required here]
iv. Cost estimation in CostX [See details on pages 3-4]
v. Clash detection in Navisworks [See details on page 5]
Minimum considerations for the content of MS Word document
• Absolute maximum 400 words
• Describe the main output from the above exercises using screenshots
• Explain the screenshots with precise words
• Harvard referencing style should be adopted if necessary
• Include appropriate caption for all Figures and Tables included
Part 2iv. Cost estimation in CostX
For this section submit two files (1 Microsoft XPS Document Writer file or PDF and final CostX file).
0. Exercise 0: Instructions,
o Create a New Building and name it ‘ Student Number_CostXTest
? Building Code: PMAN7006; Project: Default Project; Building Type: Residential
o Upload the 03 files (Drawing-01-JPEG, Drawing-02-DWG and Drawing-03-DWF_DWFx) located in the 5D-BIM folder in “Coursework CW3-BIM” folder to your created Building project.
o Create 1 Dimension Groups folders: “Drawing-Exercise_1-2” .
? All the measurements of exercises 1& 2 should be put in the “Drawing-Exercise_1-2” folder
? Delete the default “standard” Dimension Groups folder
o A margin of -5% to +5% is allowed on all measurements
Exercise 1 [Drawing-01-JPEG]
• Calibrate the X and Y axes, note the real dimension of X-axis is 15 320mm
• Measure the length of all the external walls; name it Ext. Wall-All-01
Your measurement should be in the Dimension Group “Drawing-Exercise_1-2”
Exercise 2 [Drawing-02-DWG]
• Measure the entire ground floor area excluding external walls. The measurement should be from the internal faces of the external walls.
o Do not exclude internal walls.
o Name your measurement: In_floor-02
• Measure the area of all the external walls; assume a height of 3m, call it: Ex_Wall-dr-03
o Measurements should be from exterior finish to exterior finish
o All windows’ Heights=1.1m; Offset=1.1m
o All doors’ Heights=2.1m
• Measure the length of all the external walls, call it Ex_Wall-length-04
o Measurements should be on exterior faces
• Count all the single windows, call it Windows_ct-05
• Count all single doors, call it Doors_ct-06
Your measurements should be in the Dimension Group “Drawing-Exercise_1-2”
Exercise 3 [Drawing-03-DWF_DWFx]
a. Use the Import method supported by BIM Import Revit General template to extract quantities from the model [Drawing-03-DWF/DWFx]
b. Transfer the dimension groups for all the quantities generated from the BIM model (3a) ONLY, to the workbook
c. Build a rate library consisting of the following
A. Floor Carpet 2 (£850 per m2).
B. Opening-Cased 57”x84” (£1020 per m3).
C. Balcony Door (£1100 per door).
D. Railing Handrail-Pipe (£1200 per m)
E. Pull the rates built in 3c) into the workbook to cost the elements A-D.
F. Produce a report of the workbook using ‘Elementary Summary Level 1 (EN)’ and print with Microsoft XPS Document Writer or PDF. Save as Student number_Surname
Your measurements should NOT be in the Dimension Group “Drawing-Exercise_1-2”
Rate Library Properties
• Name: PFY2019
• Rate Library Code: P33507P
• Location: default Location
• Notes: Hello World! This is my first coursework in 5D BIM
• Item Code for A, B, C and D are 110, 120, 130, 140 respectively
• Description for A, B, C, and D are Floor, Casing, Door and Handrail respectively
Part 2v. Clash detection in Navisworks
The files for this exercise are in the Clash Detection folder in the “Coursework CW3-BIM”. Load the two IFC models (MEP_HVAC.ifc and Structural_Model.ifc) in Navisworks Manage and perform the following clash tests activities:
Exercise 1 Perform a clash between the two models
? Choose Clearance test , Set tolerance to: 0.001m
? Name the clash test: MEP versus Structural
? Show a screenshot (The test name and results should be shown)
Exercise 2 Specify the exact names of the components involved in Clash 67.
? This should be typed in your MS word file
Exercise 3 Group all the even clashes (e.g. Clash 2, Clash 4, Clash 6, etc) and give the group the name (SameClashType), Change the status of the group to Reviewed, Assign the grouped clash to your Surname-Student ID
? Show a screenshot
Exercise 4 Generate an HTML (Not HTML (Tabular) file report with name: Student number_Surname 19
? Submit your report as a separate file
? Set the two models to the same origin before commencing your clash detection
Parts Number of files
Part 1 1 Revit file (.RVT)
Part 2iv (5D BIM/CostX) Microsoft XPS Document Writer or PDF file of cost plan and CostX file
Part 2v (Clash detection)[Exercise 4] 1 HTML report [Turn it into PDF before submission]
Part 2i, 2ii, 2iii and Part 2v(Exercise 1, 2, 3) 1 MS Word document
5 files to be submitted through Moodle
1. Through Moodle [If Moodle fails, please use any file sharing platform to share with me]
In addition to submitting through Moodle or file sharing platform:
2. ZIP the 5 files and email to: [email protected]
.rar files are not acceptable please.
You are provided with files in 3 different folders in the “Coursework CW3-BIM”folder. The 3 folders are 5D-BIM, Clash Detection and Others-[Template+Bath ICE]
Submission deadline: 25th April 2021
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.