Consider the “Four Topics Approach” (or Four Box method) to ethical decision making on page 61, Table 2.1 in Butts (below). Apply this model to a challenging situation in your nursing career that required you to consider the ethical dimensions of the patient case and the role you played in providing care. Specifically apply and address the questions within each topic area as they pertain to your situation.In your conclusion, discuss the impact of the Four Topics process. Did applying these principles shape your decision making in any way? Does this seem like a valid process for you to apply in your practice?Your paper should be 1-2 pages. Adhere to APA formatting throughout, and cite any outside sources you may use.Review the rubric for further information on how your assignment will be graded.TABLE 2-1 Four Topics Method for Analysis of Clinical Ethics CasesMedical Indications: The Principles of Beneficence and Nonmaleficence1. What is the patient’s medical problem? Is the problem acute? Chronic? Critical? Reversible? Emergent? Terminal?2. What are the goals of treatment?3. In what circumstances are medical treatments not indicated?4. What are the probabilities of success of various treatment options?5. In sum, how can this patient be benefited by medical and nursing care, and how can harm be avoided?Patient Preferences: The Principle of Respect for Autonomy1. Has the patient been informed of benefits and risks, understood this information, and given consent?2. Is the patient mentally capable and legally competent, and is there evidence of incapacity?3. If mentally capable, what preferences about treatment is the patient stating?4. If incapacitated, has the patient expressed prior preferences?5. Who is the appropriate surrogate to make decisions for the incapacitated patient?6. Is the patient unwilling or unable to cooperate with medical treatment? If so, why?Quality of Life: The Principles of Beneficence and Nonmaleficence and Respect for Autonomy1. What are the prospects, with or without treatment, for a return to normal life, and what physical, mental, and social deficits might the patient experience even if treatment succeeds?2. On what grounds can anyone judge that some quality of life would be undesirable for a patient who cannot make or express such a judgment?3. Are there biases that might prejudice the provider’s evaluation of the patient’s quality of life?4. What ethical issues arise concerning improving or enhancing a patient’s quality of life?5. Do quality-of-life assessments raise any questions regarding changes in treatment plans, such as forgoing life-sustaining treatment?6. What are plans and rationale to forgo life-sustaining treatment?7. What is the legal and ethical status of suicide?Contextual Features: The Principles of Justice and Fairness1. Are there professional, interprofessional, or business interests that might create conflicts of interest in the clinical treatment of patients?2. Are there parties other than clinicians and patients, such as family members, who have an interest in clinical decisions?3. What are the limits imposed on patient confidentiality by the legitimate interests of third parties?4. Are there financial factors that create conflicts of interest in clinical decisions?5. Are there problems of allocation of scarce health resources that might affect clinical decisions?6. Are there religious issues that might influence clinical decisions?7. What are the legal issues that might affect clinical decisions?8. Are there considerations of clinical research and education that might affect clinical decisions?9. Are there issues of public health and safety that affect clinical decisions?10. Are there conflicts of interest within institutions and organizations (e.g., hospitals) that may affect clinical decisions and patient welfare?
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.