The following case study presents issues related to various levels of police encounters with a suspect and potential criminal evidence and the legal justification required for those encounters.
Officer Taylor is on routine nighttime patrol when she notices a vehicle pass her driven by an African American female. The vehicle appears to have a broken taillight that appears to be covered with colored tape. She directs the driver to pull the car to the side of the road. The car is an older model gold Pontiac and as Officer Taylor walks to the driver-side of the vehicle, she remembers that a car fitting this general description was the suspected car in a recent road side killing of a fellow police officer.
The driver has long braids, tattoos, and a nose ring. As Officer Taylor looks at the driver, she thinks to herself, “Another one of those people we need to get off the streets.”
Wanting to make sure that she is safe, Officer Taylor asks the driver to step out of her vehicle for a brief pat-down for weapons. She pats her down and finding no weapons, Officer Taylor asks the driver to have a seat back inside her vehicle. Officer Taylor then asks the driver for her driver’s license and registration. Instead of providing her driver’s license and registration, the driver speeds away resulting in a high speed chase.
The chase ends when the fleeing car hits a telephone pole and crashes.
Concerned that the car may ignite in flames from a leaking gas tank, Officer Taylor removes the unconscious woman to a safe distance from the vehicle. Officer Taylor returns to the vehicle to locate the driver’s purse for identification. As she enters the vehicle, Officer Taylor notices the glove compartment has popped open and that underneath some documents is a gun which she retrieves. Officer Taylor also retrieves the driver’s purse from the floor on the passenger side of the vehicle. Officer Taylor opens the purse to get the woman’s identification and finds what appears to be a baggie of marijuana. It is later determined that this vehicle was not the car involved in the shooting death of the fellow officer. It is also later determined that the taillight was not broken.
Please answer the following questions explaining your answer in detail by analyzing the facts presented and other factors you consider relevant; defining and explaining key legal terms; and citing legal authority (your text and other legal authority) to support your conclusions in a 2–3 page paper (excluding the title page and reference page):
Did Officer Taylor’s thoughts about “those people” influence her decision-making during this stop?
Did Officer Taylor have reasonable suspicion to make the initial stop of this vehicle?
Was the “pat-down” of the driver legal?
Did exigent circumstances exist for Officer Taylor to give chase to this vehicle?
Was the gun in “plain view” and legally obtained?
Will the marijuana baggie be admissible evidence?
Note: This Assignment will require outside research. Use at least two credible sources beyond the text material, and discuss how you evaluated the credibility of the resources used. You may consult the Kaplan Online Library, the internet, the textbook, course material, and any other outside resources in supporting your task. Use proper citations in APA style.
The paper should contain a cover page and a list of references in APA format.
All internal citation of outside sources plus the listing of all references should also adhere to APA format.
Download the Unit 2 Assignment Checklist
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment
Submit your Assignment by selecting the Unit 2: Assignment in the Dropbox by the end of Unit 2.
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.