QUESTION 1 a
Use this balance sheet information to answer the following questions:
|Financial Institution (FI) Balance Sheet (Amount in millions, Duration in years)|
|Cash||50||?||Core Deposits||750||1.25 yrs|
|Treasury Bonds||350||2.25 yrs||CDs||300||1.00 yrs|
|Loans (special)||650||?||Euro CDs||?||0.75 yrs|
|Loans (fixed)||750||3.75 yrs||Equity||150|
The bank is considering approving a special loan with the following characteristics:
Loan A: The loan that has 5 years to maturity and has bond-like repayments.
Loan B: The loan has repayments of $145.808 million at the end of year 1, $603.695 million at the end of year 4, and $33.755 million at the end of year 6.
Both loans are trading at par and the yield to maturity is 5.5 percent per annum.
Select the loan that the bank should approve. Please provide justification. Assume that both loans have similar default risks.
Assuming a flat yield curve and a parallel shift of the entire yield curve of 150-basis points upward what the impact on the FI’s market value of equity is?
Calculate the convexity for a three-year 5.5% coupon rate with a face value of $500,000 loan with amortized payments.
Use this information to determine the impact on the market value of the amortized loan if the entire yield curve shifts 150-basis points upward.
What is the usefulness of convexity when duration is available as a measure of interest rate risk? What is the practical implication for the three-year loan in this example?
The figure below shows the federal funds rate for the period 2012 to 2022. The federal funds rate is the interest rate banks charge each other to borrow or lend excess reserves overnight.
As can be seen, the rate is rapidly rising. What impact does this have on commercial banks’ net interest margin? Be specific by considering the banks’ assets, liabilities, and equity.
What is a maturity bucket in the repricing model? Why is the length of time selected for repricing assets and liabilities important when using the repricing model? How does this impact runoff?
QUESTION 3a (i)
Following are current prices for pure discount bonds with face value of $1,250 of different maturities as of 1 January 2022. Calculate the spot interest rates for each bond.
|Bond Maturity||Price||Bond Maturity||Price|
|1 year||$1,190.48||3 years||$1,049.52|
|2 years||$1,123.07||4 years||$ 953.62|
QUESTION 3a (ii)
Assume the expectations theory is valid. Based on your results in part (a), determine the spot 1-year, 2-year, and 3-year rates expected 1 year later on 1 January 2023.
In corporate finance, the leverage ratio can be calculated by dividing capital by book value of assets. How have regulators altered this ratio to determine the capital adequacy requirements for banks or authorized depository institutions?
Explain the arguments for and against market-value accounting. In your answer ensure that you clearly explain “real losses” and “paper losses” and the role of moral hazard in the application of market value accounting. Use a simplified bank balance sheet to illustrate your response. How would the impact of COVID-19 influence your answer?
A financial institution has the following balance:
|Balance Sheet (in billion)|
|Government securities||18||Borrowed Funds||20|
In 2022 a flood increased liquidity needs of a bank servicing the affected community as depositors withdrew deposits to the value of $20 billion.
|Withdrawal of Deposits|
|Government securities||Borrowed Funds|
Would you recommend this bank rely more on asset liquidity or liability liquidity to meet these additional requirements? Give reasons. Show how you would manage the bank’s liquidity position.
Buy Custom Answer of This Assessment & Raise Your Grades
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.