? Generate an awareness of the ubiquity of Fluid Mechanics in the “real world”
? Apply fundamental knowledge of Fluid Mechanics to engineering challenges
? Promote and practise skills in collecting, sifting, understanding and summarising information
? Develop written and diagrammatic presentation skills
The outcome of this assignment is a report that addresses the questions raised in the topic description. Informed by the objectives detailed above, the assignment involves the following:
The final part of the exercise requires the preparation of a cogent report that integrates the information gathered and its synthesis.
Each student must submit a single report of 3 pages (including all the sections)
The report must be prepared using the template provided on BlackBoard and must include the following sections:
Header: Provide the following details in the sequence: Name, student ID, date of the report and topic title.
Introduction: This section of maximum half a page should provide some context for the topic chosen and highlight the different aspects described in the main body.
Main body: This contains the description or synthesis of the knowledge sourced in a logical form so that the reader can easily assimilate the findings of the investigation. Sections and subsections (both unnumbered) should be included to make the presentation clearer. Equations, figures and tables should be included in the main body where appropriate and cited in the text by their number.
Conclusion: This section provides a set of brief conclusions which encapsulate the findings of the investigation.
References: This section lists all the sources of information (no more than 10) that contributed to the report. The referencing style for this unit is Chicago More information can be found on this style from the Library website:
The report must follow the required format:
• The font size must be 12pt
• The font type must be Times New Roman
• Single line space
• A blank line should be inserted between paragraphs
• Margins should be 1 inch (2.54cm) at top, bottom, left and right • No table of contents
List of Topics
1. High-speed flight
Air is compressible at high flow speeds and the Bernoulli equation certainly does not hold at supersonic speeds. Wings on conventional subsonic aircraft are very different to those used for supersonic aircraft and this suggest a different mechanism for lift generation. Investigate how aircraft wings generate lift at supersonic speeds and how this mechanism influences the design of wings suitable for supersonic aircraft.
2. Active flow control
Flow control aims to manipulate the flow (boundary layer, separation, etc) around vehicles to reduce their drag and increase their lift, for instance. Investigate and describe advanced techniques based on actuators requiring energy (e.g. suction or blowing, synthetic jets, etc) used to control the flow around vehicles such as cars and aircrafts.
3. Slurry flows in the resource industries in the mining industry, which is a very important contributor to WA’s revenue, many of the fluids are slurries comprising a mixture of suspended particles in a liquid. The behaviour of this Non-Newtonian mix differs radically from that of conventional Newtonian fluids. Investigate the topic of Non-Newtonian fluids and describe how they can be modelled. Also describe the challenges, and how they have been overcome, in dealing with these fluids, for example in pump design and moving them through pipes.
4. Underwater motion using supercavitation
The acceleration of the water around submerged objects moving at high speeds can lead to a drop in pressure below the vapour pressure and to the formation of vapour bubbles. This phenomenon called cavitation can be used to reduce skin-friction drag on high-speed underwater vessels. Investigate and explain how supercavitation is used for the design of underwater devices and ships.
5. Fluid Mechanics in Renewable Energy
Fluid Mechanics is an essential feature of nearly all forms of renewable energy. Investigate examples of renewable-energy generation and explain the fluid principles at work in each.
6. Underground mine ventilation
Efficient ventilation is critical for workers and equipment operating in underground mines. Its main purposes are the supply of fresh air and the extraction of potentially toxic gases, dust and heat. Investigate and describe designs of ventilation systems and the factors affecting gas flows in underground tunnels.
7. Animal motion
It is advantageous for animals to experience low drag when they swim or fly because, for the same energy expenditure, they can move faster or keep moving for longer. Using examples, investigate and describe the ways that animals have evolved so that their drag has become lower.
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.