Differentiate among the various types of managed care alternatives to insure the effective and efficient management of managed care in health care facilities.
Assume you are a Maryland resident and Medicaid recipient looking to enroll in a managed care plan, review the Maryland Managed Care Website(s) at: https://health.maryland.gov/mmcp/healthchoice/pages/home.aspx
Assess and evaluate HealthChoice, Maryland’s statewide mandatory managed care program based on the following evaluation criteria. Please choose one (1) of the MCO’s under HealthChoice to evaluate.
Using the table format below, answer the questions (paragraph format) in each section that appear in bold type. Please be sure to include a reference page.
HGMT 420 Assignment #5
Type your name here
Assignment #5 Title
HealthChoice/Maryland Managed Care Plan
Benefits Offered and Services Covered
You want a plan that offers a comprehensive benefits package including preventive care as well as treatment programs for chronic disease management. Also, you may need emergency care and/or care away from home. What questions would you ask to determine the benefits and covered services offered? Evaluate the HealthChoice plan and summarize your findings.
Cost vs. Benefits
Managed care plans vary widely in the cost of services offered. It may be tempting to base your selection primarily on the periodic, out-of-pocket costs to you. You can’t be sure that the least expensive plan will give you all the medical services you need. Review cost vs. benefits for the HealthChoice plan carefully and summarize your findings.
Services of the Primary Care Physician
Choosing your primary care physician (PCP) may be the most important decision you make when enrolling in a managed care plan. The following questions are important when choosing your plan: Please answer each question.
Can you choose more than one PCP for your family?
Is there a large choice of primary care doctors and specialists?
How long is the average wait to get an appointment with the chosen PCP?
Can you see the same doctor consistently?
When and how can you change doctors if you are dissatisfied
How does HealthChoice measure up?
Prescription Drug Benefits
When evaluating a health plan it is very important to know what kind of prescription drug benefits the plan offers. Depending upon the plan, there are several systems that have been implemented in efforts to control costs. Some plans offer a “generic only” plan. What prescription drug benefits does HealthChoice offer? Are they beneficial to your current drug regimen?
Provider Network and Geographic Service Area
Be sure you inquire from the Provider Membership Directory which providers are included in the network and where they are located in your community. If you live in one community and work in another; determine if routine care can be received in either location. Does HealthChoice have a strong network of Providers in a geographic area that is amenable to you? Must you go to different locations for different services? If you have a child away at school, does the network extend to that area?
Commitment to Quality of Care and Service
What measures of quality care and satisfaction of service are available? It is worthwhile to find out if the plan has been accredited by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). NCQA is the most common accrediting body for network plans. Review and report on what measures of quality care and satisfaction are available for HealthChoice.
How do enrolled members feel about the plan? There are various objective forms of measurement used to determine “quality services” given by managed care plans such as accreditation, HMO report cards and/or publications produced by the industry. You would be wise to look at any that measure customer satisfaction. The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) mission is to provide information that enables purchasers and consumers of managed health care to compare plans based on quality. Their web site may be reached at http://www.ncqa.org/
Limitations, Maximums, or Exclusions
Lifetime Cap refers to the maximum dollar amount of benefits available to a consumer in a managed care plan during his or her lifetime. This amount becomes important when confronted with a life-threatening disease or accident that requires prolonged care involving expensive therapeutic intervention and support. Does HealthChoice outline limitations, maximums, or exclusions?
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.