WRITINGYour job is to first watch the film Avatar
Choose 1 (max 2) of the following discussion question options:Science Fiction as geographical metaphor: Lauded science fiction author Ursula LeGuin once said that science fiction isn’t predictive, its descriptive. Meaning that works of science fiction are not really about the future, or far flung adventures, but they are rather a thought experiment whose actual purpose is to describe reality – to describe the present world, but under the guise of a metaphor or changed scenario. There are at least two major metaphors behind the film Avatar, discuss a minimum of one of them in detail.Imagined Communities-The settler imaginary: We just watched the film Smoke Signals, which as I mentioned was the first feature length film written, directed, and produced by Native Americans, starring a cast of Native Americans and filmed on a Native American Reservation. In short, it was a film written and created by and for Native Americans but with the intent to be culturally shared. The movie Avatar, however, came out 12 years after Smoke Signals and was directed by James Cameron, a white man famous for directing movies such as Aliens, the Terminator franchise and Titanic. In Avatar, he portrays the experience of indigeneity from a completely different perspective, which is academically referred to as a “settler imaginary”. That is, the telling of a story involving indigenous lands, peoples, cultures, etc, from the perspective of the descendants of those immigrants who arrived from other parts of the world to “settle” on the North American continent. Provide examples from the film that highlight why using a settler imaginary to tell indigenous stories can be problematic or sometimes even culturally violent. Provide a critique of the film from this perspective.Nature and Place: The concept of nature is very important in the film. Compare and contrast Jake Sully’s preliminary relationship with nature compared to Neytiri’s and the Na’vi. Now recall that the discipline of geography holds a broader understanding of nature, one that does not view nature and cities as two opposites. Explain what that broader understanding is and then compare and contrast it with the movie’s more narrow portrayal of nature. Now reflect on why you think James Cameron felt there couldn’t be any cities on the planet Pandora.Scalar Politics: Analyze the scalar politics of the film Avatar, discussing the film in terms of at least two-three different scales.Gendered production of outerspace:Identify and discuss 2-3 moments in the film that illustrate the gendered production of space on Pandora. Make sure you include examples from both the human and Na’vi societies.
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.