PARAGRAPH FROM Essay :
M E M O R A N D U M
To: Marc Garneau, Minister of Foreign Affairs
From: Wayne Easter, Chair, House of Commons Finance Committee
Subject: Recommendations and Rationale in Support of a Structured and Systematic Reopening of the Canadian-U.S. Border by September 2021
Summary: The Canada-U.S. border was closed in March 2020 in an effort to stem the spread of the Covid-19 virus (Moetaz, 2021); however, the continued closure of the Canadian-U.S. border to nonessential travel due to Covid-19 pandemic concerns has severely diminished tourism revenues (Fox, 2021). Despite the significant economic impact this closure has already exacted, however, it is vitally important that the Canadian-U.S. border remained closed to travel and tourism until virus positivity rates and other conditions have improved and are adjudged safe by the scientific community.
1. The Prime Minister should resist calls to reopen the Canadian-U.S. border immediately and consider extending the closure until September 2021.
2. The Canadian-U.S. border should reopen at the earliest opportunity, but only when satisfactory assurances have been received from the health care community that it is safe to do so; at present, these safety considerations include ensuring that at least 75% of all U.S. adults have been vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus (Fox, 2021).
3. Ensure that continued vigilance is in place that will alert Canadian health care authorities in the event conditions change after the border is reopened so that appropriate protective measures can be taken in response, including reclosing the Canada-U.S. border.
The United States is Canadas largest trading partner by far…
Indeed, prior to the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, Canada was visited by more than 5 million U.S. tourists in the fourth quarter of 2019 who contributed nearly $2 billion in revenues to the Canadian tourism industry (Visitor spending in Canada, 2021). These contributions include expenditure for accommodations, food and beverages, recreation and entertainment, clothing and gifts, transportation and other spending (Visitor spending in Canada, 2021).
Travel and tourism revenues therefore affect all sectors of the Canadian economy, but they are especially important for major urban centres such as Vancouver which accounted for 20% of total revenues (or $758 million), Toronto which accounted for nearly as much with $680 million in revenues (or 18% of total spending) and Montreal where international tourists spent $448 million (or 12% of total revenues) in the furth quarter of 2019, just prior to the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic (Visitor spending in Canada, 2019).
Although the economic stakes are very high in this calculus, it is vitally important that the reopening of the Canada-U.S. border proceed in a structured and systematic fashion. Notwithstanding the billions of dollars that are involved, the health and welfare of Canadian citizens remains of paramount importance, far outweighing the severity of the economic impact that the border closure has caused both nations. Indeed, although adult vaccination rates in Canada and the United States are comparable at about 48% of the adult populations, the coronavirus infection rate for Canadians is a troubling 56% compared to just 12% for U.S. adults (Fox, 2021).
Yet another important…
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.