7. Mateo Falcone By Prosper Mérimée. Matthews, Brander. 1907. The Short-Story (bartleby.com)
Again, a powerful short story that you will never forget. This time we will read about Corsican culture in the early 19th century. Corsica is an island in the Mediiterranean Sea, an island controlled by France. It is located just north of Sardenia, west of Italy and south of France. It is a picturesque and stunning island with excellent food and wine. Many tourists visit Corsica every year. Perhaps you will visit one day.
After reading the short story, you will answer the following questions in the same way that you answered the questions on “The Griffin and the Minor Canon.” Your answers will be interpretive but again, you must provide evidence (“quotations”) from the text to support your answers. I will again provide one answer. Early in the story when the narrator introduces us (readers) to Mateo, we learn that he is a tough guy
Why are we told that Mateo may have killed an unarmed rival (a rival for his wife)?
The narrator tells us very early in the story that Mateo is a tough guy. He says,
Mateo Falcone had earned a great reputation. He was said to be a loyal friend, but a dangerous enemy; in other respects he was obliging and gave alms, and he lived
at peace with everybody in the district of Porto-Vecchio. But it is told of him that when at Corte, where he had found his wife, he had very quickly freed himself of a
rival reputed to be equally formidable in love as in war; at any rate people attributed to Mateo a certain gunshot which surprised his rival while in the act of shaving
before a small mirror hung his window.
So, we are told that he killed his rival early in the story because we will then know that Mateo is capable of violence when he feels threatened or when he feels his reputation for integrity is at stake. That fact helps us better understand why he did what he did to his son, Mateo, at the end of the story.
Here are your questions:
1. Why does the narrator show that Giuseppa and Mateo have different (opposing) responses to the capture of the outlaw, Gianetto Sanpiero?
2. Does the narrator want us to believe that hospitality in the maquis overrides any other? (look at the beginning of the story for factual information… it’s there!)
3. Would Mateo have killed Fortunato if his son had not accepted the watch?
4. Does the author want us to believe that the claim of hospitality overrides any other?
5. Are we meant to excuse Fortunato’s greed because he is only ten years old?
6. Why does the Mateo insist that Fortunato say all the prayers he knows?
7. Is the adjutant trying to get Fortunato in trouble when he tells Mateo that he wouldn’t have caught the outlaw without the boy’s help?
8. According to the author, has justice been done when Mateo executes his son?
These questions will be turned in with your final essay.
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.