Moderator Assignment & Data
Problem: Background and research questions.
A Psychology Professor is interested in understanding the variability in final exam grades for his 100-level freshman Psychology Statistics class. He hypothesizes that class absences would be negatively cor with final exam grades, and that the students’ pre-college levels of math proficiency would be positively cor with final exam grades. He also hypothesizes that the relationship between absences and final grades would be moderated by levels of Math proficiency. The professor collects data for the 75 students in his class.. Based on Math Placement Test (MPT) scores, obtained during pre-semester orientation, 25 students were determined to have elementary-school level math skills (Developmental level, MAP scores of 20 to 44) Math skills. Twenty-five students had math skills at the 9th grade level (Arithmetic and Algebra, MPT scores between 47 and 55). And 25 students had math skills at a college level (Calculus level, MPT scores between 56 and 75). Math levels were recorded as 1 ＝ Low Math Skills; 2 ＝ Moderate Skills, and 3 ＝ High math skills. At the end of the semester, and for each student, the number of class absences was recorded, as were their final exam grades.
Using the attached SPSS data file, conduct a multiple regression analysis to examine the direct and interactive (moderator) effects of Absences (SPSS variable Absences) and MPT scores (SPSS variable MathTest) on final exam grades (SPSS variable FinalExm). Summarize the results using correct APA style. Be sure to include the appropriate Tables and Graphs.
Please use my sample summary for moderation as a guide for your summary. As you’ll see, my sample summary shows you what statistics to present and summarize in your papers, and how to present them in APA style format.
1-Describe the sample, the goals of the study, and the variables employed to conduct the study
2-Describe the analysis strategy – How will you analyze the data.
3-State the Null and Alternative Hypotheses
4-Conduct the multiple regression analysis in which grades is the DV (outcome), Math Levels, and Absences, as well as their centered interaction, are the IV (predictors).
5-Present and summarize the results for the Multiple Regression Analysis – including the effects for both IVs (SPSS variables Absence and MathTest) as well as the centered interaction (SPSS variable XxM).
6-Conduct, present, and summarize the results for the simple slopes analyses for each level of Math proficiency. So, using the split file procedure in SPSS you must conduct 3 simple regression analysis in which the variable Grades is the DV (outcome) and Absences is the IV (predictor). Please note that the SPSS variable MATHLEV represents the trichotomized math level. So split the file on MATHLEV.
7-Create the appropriate table of results for the multiple regression analysis (you must refer to this table within the summary).
8-Create the appropriate table for the simple slopes analyses.
9-Create a simple slopes plot showing the regression of grades on absences for each Math level. You must refer to this figure within the summary.
10-Submit the summary as an MS-Word file; and please submit the SPSS output in a separate file. That way I can see the analyses that you ran.
11-Please carefully read my sample summary and model your summary after it. Also, you must read chapter 15 in the Warner text.
12-Please note that this analysis and summary must be your own original work, you may not share you work with any classmates. I created the practice data and sample summary as an in-class problem, and I encourage you with work together on the practice problem. But not on the graded assignment Also Note: After you have read chapter 15 in the Warner text, as well as my sample summary, you should be able to create the necessary SPSS syntax to set up and run all the required analyses. After you read my sample summary you will also learn what to report and how to report it in APA style.
Please attempt to reproduce all of the results.
Use the SPSS data for the sample summary to practice running the Moderator Analysis. And study my sample summary to help you learn how to interpret, present, and summarize the results in correct APA style.
When you are writing up the results for the assignment problem, you should model your summary after my sample summary: Word for word, Table by Table. The only difference will be that you will have different statistics (numbers) and different variables
The bottom line is that if you completely understand my sample summary (including all of the statistics presented) and if you can reproduce the results in SPSS, then you are ready to take on the assignment. If you do not understand my sample summary, and/or, you can not reproduce my results, then you would not be able to successfully complete the application assignment. and you need to ask questions.
AFTER YOU′VE RUN THE ANALYSIS AND CAREFULLY READ THE SAMPLE SUMMARY, PLEASE POST A REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE INDICATING THAT YOU UNDERSTAND ALL ASPECTS OF THE ANALYSIS AND SUMMARY.
Here are the Ho′s and Ha′s:
Moderator Model Ho′s and Ha′s
Ho1: Depression is un to Life Stress (LS) and Social Support
Ho2: The impact of LS on Depression is not moderated by Social Support (SS)
Ha1: Depression is to Life Stress (LS) and Social Support (SS).
Ha2: The impact of LS on Depression is moderated by SS.
SPSS Syntax for Moderator Model
And Simple Slopes Analyses
/STATISTICS COEFF OUTS CI(95) R ANOVA ZPP
/NOORIGIN /DEPENDENT Depress
/METHOD＝ENTER Stress SS C_Axb.
SORT CASES BY Sup_Level.
SPLIT FILE LAYERED BY Sup_Level.
/STATISTICS COEFF OUTS CI(95) R ANOVA ZPP
/NOORIGIN /DEPENDENT Depress
SPLIT FILE OFF.
Dear Stat Cats:
1) Read chapter 15 (Moderation) in the Warner text. Take notes. Identify what you do and do not understand, And, please post questions on any element of the chapter that you do not fully understand.
2) Watch and read the videos and notes in the week 3 Content page 3) Read all of my posts, notes and sample summary in this forum
4) Reproduce all of my results in SPSS5) Ask questions!
5) Watch the YouTube Videos on Moderation
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.