PARAGRAPH FROM Chapter :
PERSONALITY DISORDERS CONTROVERSY
Controversies Associated with Personality Disorder
From the onset, it would be prudent to note that as per the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual on Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), personality disorders could be defined as an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the individuals culture (National Institute of Mental Health NIMH, 2017). There are various personality disorders recognized under the DSM-5 Manual. These are inclusive of, but they are not limited to; schizoid personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, etc. It would be prudent to note that a significant number of persons are at some point diagnosed with a personality disorder. Over time, various diagnostic mechanisms have been suggested and treatment approaches formulated. However, there are various controversial elements that have in the past emerged in relation to not only the diagnosis, but also the treatment of personality disorders. This text explores the said issues. In so doing, it will largely focus on narcissistic personality disorder.
Narcissistic personality disorder happens to be a condition whereby a person has what could be described as an unrealistic and largely inflated perception of self-relevance. To begin with, there are those who argue that the diagnostic definitions of this particular disorder does not capture the true nature and essence of the disease. For instance, according to Ronningstam (2016), the diagnostic meaning assigned to narcissistic personality disorder does not focus on the internal as well as underlying struggles of the patient as it should. Instead, the author is of the opinion that the said definition is largely inclined towards what could be deemed attitudes and behaviors meant to secure clinicians attention. As a consequence, Ronningstam (2016) further observes that diagnosis for narcissistic personality disorder has taken a less informative and judgmental perspective. There are also those who are of the opinion that the diagnosis and treatment of the disorder fails to take into account…engagement.
One ethical/legal consideration that I would bring to my practice is confidentiality. Confidentiality happens to be crucial so as to ensure that the client develops meaningful level of trust necessary for a therapeutic engagement of this nature. Confidentiality is also crucial in this case owing to the need to protect the client from ridicule and/or adverse outcomes at the workplace if his condition is disclosed. However, confidentiality does have its limits. For instance, if a person with narcissist tendencies is concerned that their glory is being stolen by someone else, and they indicate an intention to harm the said person, then disclosure to the relevant third parties could be made. There is also the issue of autonomy. This is more so the case given that the client could in this case refuse some of the treatment strategies suggested. The client would be within their right to deny any intervention proposed. I would resolve such an issue by actively engaging the client so as to identify their concerns,…
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.