Opinion Essay: (750 words—about three pages) This essay, aimed at a general audience, willrefer to specifics from one of the novels we’ve read to make a point about an issue of urgentimportance in the world. You should draw on what you have learned from your research andexpress your own opinion on the subject. This is the Signature Assignment for the course, whichmeans that it will be evaluated in relation to the two main Gen Ed learning outcomes for thecourse: Written Communication and Civic Engagement / Intercultural Knowledge.
Your final essay is not quite as long as the presentation report, and it will have a different focusin that your main goal is to express an opinion. If you want to write about the same topic thatyou used for your presentation, you can—and you can draw on the research you did—but theessay can not reuse what you wrote for the report. Therefore, if you are using the same topic,you should find an aspect of the debate that you didn’t previously address, or focus morenarrowly on a particular proposal or position.
Please keep in mind the two essential elements of the essay: 1) you must refer to one of thenovels we’ve read, citing plot or characters or settings as examples of the issues addressed inyour essay, and 2) you must engage with the issue in the real world, commenting on how itaffects our society or particular communities. “Civic Engagement / Intercultural Knowledge”means that you will demonstrate that you are both informed about issues of civic importanceand involved in attempts to address them. In this context, “involved in” could mean simplywillingness to express your opinion to others. But I also encourage you to write about yourpersonal efforts to create change, whether that’s through your studies, your community roles, oryour career ambitions.
Here’s a rough suggested outline for your essay:
Introductory paragraph: point to a specific element of a novel of your choice (an event, aquote, some aspect of setting) that shows us the dangers or implications of a particular issue.Explain how it relates to the real world. End with a statement of your thesis: what do you thinkthe real issue is, and/or what do you think should be done?Paragraphs 2-4: Elaborate on the impact of this issue on society, using elements from the novelas occasional points of comparison. (E.g. “Like Marcus in Little Brother, we’re not always surewhen we’re being surveilled…”). Provide real-world evidence and make sure you make clearwhy you think it’s a problem.Paragraphs 5-7: Outline what is being done currently and what you think should be done tosolve the problem. Provide arguments to justify your approach. Touch on any broader social orphilosophical questions the issue provokes. And for the sake of a coherent presentation, bringyour argument back to how it resonates with the novel.
TALKING ABOUT ABORTION RIGHTS
FROM THE NOVEL “ HOUSE OF THE SCORPION” BY NANCY FARMER
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.