Read statement below and answer questions below. Include scholarly source(s) to support your findings or opinion.
1. Reflect on the social and cultural factors your peer identified. How do they influence health literacy?
2. Assess how the changes to the teaching plan would improve the patient’s health literacy.
“T2D is affecting 34.2 million Americans and impacting all socioeconomic groups of different ethnic backgrounds (CDC, 2020). Health disparities exist with diabetes as African American Women are disproportionately affected by this chronic disease in its epidemiology and health outcomes (AHCRQ).” (Gumbs, J.,2020). Ms. Jones is African American women who is not presently seeing a PCP to manage her diabetes. After this nurse spoke with Ms. Jones it seemed as though her diagnosis was not a priority, and there was lack of importance to get her diabetes under control. As the nurse it was brought to Ms. Jones’ attention that her foot wound, her chief complaint, could have been the result of her uncontrolled blood sugar and diabetes.
It is imperative for Ms. Jones to fully understand how to check her blood sugar, and the importance of how managing her blood sugar levels has positive effects on her life overall. Ms. Jones should be educated on steps to use to attain her goal. Teaching her on how to properly use a glucometer is the first step in the right direction to work towards managing her blood sugars. Ms. Jones should also perform a teach back to demonstrate proper glucose monitoring skills. This teach back will show if she retained the teaching that was provided to her and if she fully understands how to perform the task. She should also be aware during the teaching that checking her glucose in the morning showed be done prior to breakfast, as well as about 2 hours after any meal. Ms. Jones should be educated to use a glucose diary. This will ensure, Ms. Jones can view and comprehend her variation in blood sugar levels. Ms. Jones should also be taught on signs and symptoms of hypo/hyperglycemia and how to treat both problems.
Ms. Jones cultural belief and background may influence how her disease is described during her assessment. Her belief might help guide her decision to what medical choices. Ms. Jones is very spiritual and involved in her church, as the medical professional it is suitable to be aware of this when trying to educate. Some barriers that can affect Ms. Jones health care is her racial background “The 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy revealed that 58% of African Americans had basic or below basic health literacy, compared with 28% of non-Hispanic Whites. (Muvuka, B., 2020). Distrust can also cause patients to not seek medical attention promptly if they feel their life are not at risk. “Discriminatory policies and practices have systematically limited African Americans’ access to the resources and skills needed to obtain, understand, and apply health information.” (Muvuka, B., 2020). As the nurse I would urge Ms. Jones to follow up with a primary care physician due to the likely of life-threatening disease in the future.
“Systemic factors such as limited educational opportunities, racism, health system mistrust, and a lack of culturally tailored health information and services are health literacy barriers for this population” (Muvuka, B., 2020). Since Ms. Jones is very spiritual and involved in her church a great cultural competency would be to incorporate her religion into her medical care. Tina would express more willing and be more involved in her care if she feels as if her values were being recognized by medical personal.
Gumbs, J. (2020). Orem’s Select Basic Conditioning Factors and Health Promoting Self-Care Behaviors among African American Women with Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of Cultural Diversity, 27(2), 47–52.
Muvuka, B., Combs, R. M., Ayangeakaa, S. D., Ali, N. M., Wendel, M. L., & Jackson, T. (2020). Health Literacy in African-American Communities: Barriers and Strategies. Health literacy research and practice, 4(3), e138–e143. https://doi.org/10.3928/24748307-20200617-01
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.