Sickle cell disease is a group of inherited autosomal recessive red blood cell disorders that affects hemoglobin. Normally, red blood cells are disc shaped and flexible to move easily through the blood vessels. In sickle cell disease the red blood cells are crescent or “sickle” shaped. These cells do not bend and move easily and can block blood flow to the rest of the body. In order for sickle cell disease to be passed down both parents must carry the gene mutation and the there is a 25% the child will be affected and a 25% chance the child will be unaffected, then there is a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier but not have the disease. In sickle cell disease a single amino acid substitution in the β-globin chain leads to polymerization of mutant hemoglobin S, impairing erythrocyte rheology and survival. Clinically, erythrocyte abnormalities in sickle cell disease manifest in hemolytic anemia and cycles of microvascular vaso-occlusion leading to end-organ ischemia-reperfusion injury and infarction. Vaso-occlusive events and intravascular hemolysis promote inflammation and redox instability that lead to progressive small- and large-vessel vasculopathy (Sundd et al., 2019).
Sickle disease affects every organ system in the body. Sickle cell crisis is used to describe a group of several acute painful conditions that can happen to many different organ systems. Cerebrovascular complications are an ischemic stroke and it could present with hemiparesis, severe headache and aphasia. Circulatory system complications include splenic sequestration, functional asplenia which would present as splenomegaly and sudden drop in hemoglobin. Genitourinary complications include priapism and renal disfunction which could present as a sustained erection and hematuria. Hepatobiliary issues include cholelithiasis and hepatic fibrosis with a presentation of hepatomegaly and abdominal pain. Ocular issues include proliferative retinopathy and retinal detachment and symptoms include pain, decreased vision, and/or blindness. Pulmonary issues include acute chest syndrome which shows as pulmonary infections, chest pain, cough, and dyspnea. Skeletal issues include dactylitis and aseptic necrosis which present as swollen hands feet, pain, and decreased mobility (Novelli & Gladwin, 2016).
Novelli, E. M., & Gladwin, M. T. (2016). Crises in sickle cell disease. Chest, 149(4), 1082–1093. https://ift.tt/3m4I5tw
Sundd, P., Gladwin, M. T., & Novelli, E. M. (2019). Pathophysiology of sickle cell disease. Annual Review of Pathology: Mechanisms of Disease, 14(1), 263–292. https://ift.tt/37DZIIi
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.