Describe one evidence-based strategy for leading emergency preparedness.
The global COVID-19 pandemic presented specific challenges to several areas worldwide, including hot spots like New York City, which suffered over 22 000 deaths. As a result, new innovative strategies were created to include resource allocation of emergency workers. Specialty providers from other practice settings such as Neurosurgery, Radiology, Bariatric surgery, and General surgery were deployed to work at alternative sites, including mobile field hospitals. It is important to note that the deployed staff received the appropriate onboarding/training. Their practices received ongoing support and services, including telemedicine, to stay connected with their patients during their absence (Amos, et al., 2020). During a disaster, it is critical to the mission to determine the right resources are being used to ensure safety and mitigate further sentinel events.
Identify one evidence-based strategy for shaping healthcare system outcomes in a disaster.
Hanefeld et al. (2018) wrote people respond in different ways to disasters, and the sudden shock and response can determine the outcomes. One of the best strategies for shaping healthcare system outcomes in a disaster is to build a level of resistance from what individuals have learned from a previous crisis. It is integral to understand the overall capacity and abilities a system has in place to respond. For instance, the financial, political, information, and planning systems can independently influence if the response to the disaster is a success or not (Hanefeld, 2018). Building resistance can be achieved when each healthcare system strives to use each crisis as an opportunity to improve their responses in preparation for future disasters.
Examine the disaster risks for your local community. Identify two priority concerns. Describe the significance of these issues of concern.
The two disaster risks identified for the state of Alaska are earthquakes plus extreme cold and blizzards. According to the University of Alaska (2021), Alaska experiences over 20,000 earthquakes annually, more than any other state. It is estimated that an earthquake with a magnitude of 7 to 8 occurs yearly and 8+ on average every 13 years. The significant damage that can happen is costly due to poor infrastructure in some areas-especially remote villages. When there is an earthquake, tsunamis can be a concern depending on the time of the year and if people live near the coastline, which many do for sustenance purposes. Another disaster risk for Alaska is the long and harsh winters that create hazardous conditions such as white-out road conditions and avalanches. Unprepared people can be stuck for hours to days before help arrives and suffer frostbite, loss of limb, and possibly loss of life.
Identify one professional organization active in emergency preparedness or disaster response. Describe the services provided.
The American Red Cross (ARC) is a well-known non-profit organization that utilizes its volunteers to respond and provide relief to communities affected by local, state, and international disasters. In addition, the ARC offers Basic Life Support (BLS), First Aid, and many other training opportunities and certifications. The ARC also provides invaluable support for military families in need and assists with notifying service members of family emergencies when deployed overseas or in remote locations. Plus, therapy and other essential services to active duty, veterans, and military families (ARC, 2021).
American Red Cross (2021). Our work. https://www.redcross.org/about-us/our-work/disaster-relief.html (Links to an external site.)
Amos, J. et al. (2020). An innovative provider redeployment strategy during the covid-19 pandemic in New York City. Physician Leadership Journal, (7)6, 48-53. physicianleaders.org
Hanefeld et al. (2018). Towards an understanding of resilience: responding to health systems shocks. Health Policy and Planning, (33)3, 355-367. DOI: 10.1093/heapol/czx183
University of Alaska (2020). Overview: earthquakes and tsunamis in Alaska. Sea Grant Alaska. https://seagrant.uaf.edu/topics/environmental-hazards-alaskas-coasts/earthquakes-tsunamis/ (Links to an external site.)
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.