7, p. 216
The probability distribution for the random variable x follows.
a. Is this probability distribution valid? Explain
b. What is the probability that x = 30?
c. What is the probability that x is less than or equal to 25?
d. What is the probability that x is greater than 30?
21, p. 223
The following probability distributions of job satisfaction scores for a sample of information systems (IS) senior executives and middle managers range from a low of 1 (very dissatisfied) to a high of 5 (very satisfied).
Job IS Senior IS Middle
Satis. Executives Managers
Score f(x) xf(x) (x – μ) (x – μ)2 (x – μ)2f(x) f(x) xf(x) (x – μ) (x – μ)2 (x – μ)2f(x)
1 .05 .05 -3.05 9.3025 .465 .04 .04 -2.84 8.0656 .323
2 .09 .18 -2.05 4.2025 .378 .10 .20 -1.84 3.3856 .339
3 .03 .09 -1.05 1.1025 .033 .12 .36 -.84 .7056 .085
4 .42 1.68 -.05 .0025 .001 .46 1.84 .16 .0256 .012
5 .41 2.05 .95 .9025 .370 .28 1.40 1.16 1.3456 .377
Σ = 4.05 1.247 3.84 1.136
SD 1.117 1.066
a. What is the expected value of the job satisfaction score for senior executives?
b. What is the expected value of the job satisfaction score for middle managers?
c. Compute the variance of job satisfaction scores for executives and middle managers.
d. Compute the standard deviation of job satisfaction scores for both probability distributions.
e. Compare the overall job satisfaction of senior executives and middle managers.
33, p. 235
Twelve of the top twenty finishers in the 2009 PGA Championship at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minnesota, used a Titleist brand golf ball (GolfBallTest website, November 12, 2009). Suppose these results are representative of the probability that a randomly selected PGA Tour player uses a Titleist brand golf ball. For a sample of 15 PGA Tour players, make the following calculations.
a. Compute the probability that exactly 10 of the 15 PGA Tour players use a Titleist brand golf ball.
b. Compute the probability that more than 10 of the 15 PGA Tour players use a Titleist brand golf ball.
c. For a sample of 15 PGA Tour players, compute the expected number of players who use a Titleist brand golf ball.
d. For a sample of 15 PGA Tour players, compute the variance and standard deviation of the number of players who use a Titleist brand golf ball.
43, p. 241
Airline passengers arrive randomly and independently at the passenger-screening facility at a major international airport. The mean arrival rate is 10 passengers per minute.
a. Compute the probability of no arrivals in a one-minute period.
b. Compute the probability that three or fewer passengers arrive in a one-minute period.
c. Compute the probability of no arrivals in a 15-second period.
d. Compute the probability of at least one arrival in a 15-second period.
55, p. 248
The budgeting process for a midwestern college resulted in expense forecasts for the coming year (in $ millions) of $9, $10, $11, $12, and $13. Because the actual expenses are unknown, the following respective probabilities are assigned: .3, .2, .25, .05, and .2.
a. Show the probability distribution for the expense forecast.
b. What is the expected value of the expense forecast for the coming year?
c. What is the variance of the expense forecast for the coming year?
d. If income projections for the year are estimated at $12 million, comment on the financial position of the college.
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.