Understand the views and goals of the two best-known black leaders of the turn-of-the-twentieth century U.S.: Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. DuBois. You will do this by writing an editorial supporting one of the men from a specific historical perspective. This assignment will help you practice the skills of comparison, analyzing evidence, and argumentation, as well as become more familiar with black history and progressivism in the early twentieth century.
Documents for analysis:
Booker T. Washington, “Atlanta Compromise” (1895), https://ift.tt/3AGOaRE .
W.E.B. DuBois, “Of Mr. Booker T. Washington and Others” (1903), http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/40 (also, see the excerpts that are available in this submodule).
First, read both documents carefully, along with pp. 617-619 in the textbook.
Second, create a persona and perspective from which to write. Some suggestions are:
a black southern sharecropper.
a white Atlanta businessman.
a black, female domestic worker in Atlanta.
a black 17-year-old living in Harlem.
Write an editorial (300-400 words, or more than 1 page and less than 2) in support of DuBois OR Washington from your persona to one of the following newspapers:
Chicago Defender – the leading black newspaper of the day.
Atlanta Journal – Atlanta daily newspaper; championed the “New South”; very conservative on race.
Atlanta Independent – black weekly newspaper published in Atlanta.
In your editorial, include
a brief introduction (2-3 sentences) of your character
state at least two (2) reasons why you (as your character) support your chosen leader
and at least one (1) reason you believe the other leader’s ideas are flawed.
Bring in at least one direct quote from each primary source.
In other words, you are comparing the two men, but ultimately supporting one over the other as having the best vision for black Americans, ca. 1903.
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.