Assignment: Advocating with Policy Makers
In social work, advocacy is very important to promote social change. Letters are often used as an effective tool to bring attention to social justice issues. This assignment requires you to choose a social justice issue that is important to you, gather current research and data on the subject matter, and write a one page professional and formal letter to your elected local, state, or national representative responsible for your social justice matter you have identified.
Choose a social welfare problem that you believe is in need of change and write a letter to an elected local, state, or federal official regarding the issue you have chosen. You are not required to send the letter; however, it must be written in a professional, well organized, clear, and concise format.
Writing letters to public officials is a form of political advocacy for clients and social workers. For this Assignment, you will write an advocacy letter to public official about a problem and a policy. In addition, you will write a 2-page explanation of your letter. Your explanation will provide the rationale behind your chosen issue and the approach you took with the specific representative.
Assignment: In the same document, submit both Part I and II of the assignment (4 pages):
Part I: Letter to Representative
Your letter should include:
A description of the social welfare issue
An explanation of how you want the legislator to respond to the issue (vote, create legislation, hold public hearings, etc.) and why.
Support of your viewpoints with credible facts and research.
Part II: Explanation ( 2 pages, double-space, APA format)
For this part of the assignment, provide an explanation of:
Why you selected the issue
How the issue affects social work
The reason you chose the specific representative
The approach you took with the representative (consider the representative’s voting history, political affiliation, and any other factors you considered)
Beerman, D. (2012). Advocacy handbook for social workers. National Association of Social Workers – North Carolina Chapter. Retrieved from https://ift.tt/3CArTVH
Plummer, S.-B., Makris, S., & Brocksen, S. M. (Eds.). (2014). Social work case studies: Foundation year. Baltimore: MD: Laureate International Universities Publishing. [Vital Source e-reader].
“Working with Clients with Dual Diagnosis: The Case of Joe” (pp. 77–78)
Popple, P. R., & Leighninger, L. (2019). The policy-based profession: An introduction to social welfare policy analysis for social workers (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
Chapter 8, “Mental Health and Substance Abuse” (pp. 161-191)
Humphreys, K., & McLellan, A. T. (2011). A policy-oriented review of strategies for improving the outcomes of services for substance use disorder patients. Addiction, 106(12), 2058–2066.
Content: Part I
31.5 (31.5%) – 35 (35%)
Letter provides an excellent description of the social welfare issue. Letter provides an excellent explanation of a policy position and why you recommend that position. Letter demonstrates excellent understanding of audience and provides a persuasive policy position.
Content: Part II
31.5 (31.5%) – 35 (35%)
Explanation provides an excellent explanation of how an issue affects social work, the reason a representative was chosen, and the approach taken in the letter.
27 (27%) – 30 (30%)
Assignment is well organized, uses professional tone, contains very few or no writing and/or spelling errors, and is fully consistent with graduate-level writing style.
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL - NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.