Chapter 13 discusses ways in which people to react to conflicts. Some of these reactions are beneficial to a person or an organization, but others can be harmful. In this discussion you will have the opportunity to reflect on these methods and to decide with methods are most appropriate in a given situation.
Read the situation below and then write how you would react to the situation if you were using each of the common reactions to conflict.
Joe Hunter has been with the San Angeles Police Department for the past 6 years. After graduating second in his class at the state police academy, Hunter was hired as a patrol person with San Angeles. He quickly moved up in the ranks to corporal in his second year and sergeant in his fourth. All of the officers consider Hunter to be the best cop on the force because of his high level of intelligence as well as his uncanny ability to work with the public by anticipating problems in the community.
Everything was going along well for Sergeant Hunter until the spring of 1988. During this time, he started dating a girl that he quickly fell in love with. What he didn’t know until 5 months after they began dating was that she had once been engaged to his captain.
When Hunter’s captain discovered the relationship, he was furious with Hunter, but knew that legally he could not control the private life of his employee. However, even though he could not directly tell Hunter what to do, he decided to make his life miserable at work. Captain Webb constantly gave Hunter the worst assignments, kept him away from the public contact that made him such a good officer, and started to lower Hunter’s performance evaluations.
Hunter was frustrated, then hurt, and finally angry. He finally reached a point where one day he was so angry, that he had to do something. If Hunter were to apply each of the common reactions to conflict in this situation, what would he do in each case? Which one would be the most appropriate?
Please address each of these reactions to conflict in your discussion of the above situation. Don’t forget to discuss which of these reactions you think would be most effective in this situation and why.
Win at all costs
Third party intervention
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.