STUDENT REPLY #1 Vanessa Deleon Guerrero
When conducting surveillance, you are closely monitoring a person’s activities. Investigators or detectives watch their every move, at home, work, where they eat, shop all while being unnoticeable. When detectives conduct surveillance, they still need to ensure that they are respecting the person’s privacy. For example, detectives will not take photos of the person while they are in the shower. If the person is outside or in an area that has public view, then they can take photos of that person. They must conduct their surveillance in an orderly manner, without causing panic to the public in order to ensure public safety.
Private companies such as Facebook, Instagram or twitter are used for people to express themselves. However, what is posted on their social media becomes public and they make their lives public for everyone to see. If someone posted that they were just at a park where a shooting happened, law enforcement can use that to interview them because it puts them at the scene of the crime. However, private companies, for example like phone companies should not use data like text messaging for their benefit. They should not be allowed to read their customers’ messages or listen in on their phone calls. That is a true invasion of privacy.
Brandl, S. (2018). Criminal investigation (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
Bedi, M. (2016). The curious case of cell phone location data: Fourth Amendment doctrine mash-up Links to an external site… Northwestern University Law Review, 110(2), 507–524
STUDENT REPLY #2 Danielle Berlus
Hello everyone, when I think of surveillance, I think of all the places that they put cameras like the ones at streetlights that catch you speeding or when they are looking for a suspect and they look to facial recognition devices. I think it is hard to balance what is expected to be private. I don’t think anything is private anymore except possibly the bathrooms and even then, someone maybe recording you. Our cell phones I think are being monitored by so many companies and even those who want to steal our personal data as well.
“The government tracks movements through the acquisition of cell phone location data: historical cell phone location data, real-time cell phone location data, and actively “pinging” a cell phone for location data. Cell phone providers store location data as the normal part of their business of providing service. Police, in turn, can request that cell phone providers hand over this location data for a suspect over a set period of time. This information is classified as historical cell phone location data. This data stands in contrast to real-time location data. Whereas the former focuses on past locations, real-time data provides locations as they actually occur. Here, cell phone providers, upon request, give police contemporaneous data on the location of the nearest cell tower for tracking purposes. Pinging a cell phone is a variation on the collection of contemporaneous cell phone location data. This time, however, the government does not wait for the phone itself to send its routine signal to the cell tower. Rather, the police request that cell phone providers send an affirmative signal to the suspect’s phone to monitor her location via cell towers.” (Chicago VOL 110, ISS 2, 2016)
From this information about cell phones, we are being monitored at all times. I think the only way to truly have balance is to not have technology and go stay somewhere with limited surveillance. I do not think it matters whether we differentiate between government intrusion and private companies who use citizens’ online data to surveil because we are going to be watched no matter what.
Chicago VOL 110, ISS 2 (2016) https://www.proquest.com/docview/1773932167?accountid=14872
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL – NO PLAGIARISM
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
About Our Service
We are an online academic writing company that connects talented freelance writers with students in need of their services. Unlike other writing companies, our team is made up of native English speakers from countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- At ClassicWritersBay.com, most of our writers are degree-holding native speakers of English who are familiar with various writing styles. Our writers are proficient in many fields, including Economics, Business, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Statistics, and many others.
- Making our customers happy is an important part of our service. So do not be surprised if you get your paper well before the deadline!
- We pay a lot of attention to ensuring that you get excellent customer service. You can contact our Customer Support Representatives 24/7. When you order from us, you can even track the progress of your paper as it is being written!
- We are attentive to the needs of our customers. Therefore, we follow all your instructions carefully so that you can get the best paper possible.
- It matters to us who writes for you, and we are serious about selecting the best candidates.
- Our writers are always learning something new, so they are familiar with the latest developments in the scientific world and can write papers with updated information and the latest findings.
- Quality original papers that follow your instructions carefully.
- On time delivery – you get the paper before the specified deadline.
- Attentive Customer Support Representatives available 24/7.
- Complete confidentiality – we do not share you details or papers with anybody else.